Saturday, November 13, 2010

Early Morning

Thank goodness this morning when I awoke at 4.30am there was quiet. Yesterday some sort of crackers/ shots could be heard as from far away right up till 6am. Actually I have heard these sounds on and off for years and years ( I have been living here in Vasant Kunj now since 1995) and often wondered what these were. Till recently I thought they were crackers being blown up at the 'doli' ceremony after a wedding...but yesterday I was quite sure it could not be that...crackers for two to three hours? Then I wondered are these gun shots of some sort? Could some one be shooting...birds, ducks? Or just practicing? What then? Grrr most frustrating hearing them but not having any idea what they are.
There is a lot of open space around, farmhouses. But isn't that illegal? And doesn't anyone ever wonder about the cracking noises so many times and at such unearthly hours? The Police perhaps? It's all very disconcerting.
Compare this to a few nights I spent at Mashobra (Simla) at a niece's wedding. I stayed all alone in an apartment and the silence was, well, cliched as it may sound, deafening. After a bit it felt wonderful. I felt closer to myself, meditative, at peace and I was very aware of the contrast when I returned to Delhi. Which is why perhaps those mysterious 'shots' are disturbing me much more now. I long for some silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment